NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
Position based in Washington, DC
TITLE: Director of Content and Digital Strategies
PROGRAM: Communications Division
SUPERVISOR: Vice President of Communications
ORANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is the only national Black women’s Reproductive Justice organization. Our goal is to increase and highlight the leadership of Black women on reproductive health, rights and justice issues. In Our Own Voice is a national-state partnership with eight Black women’s organizations: Black Women for Wellness, Black Women’s Health Imperative, New Voices for Reproductive Justice, SisterLove, Inc., SisterReach, SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW, The Afiya Center, and Women With a Vision.
As a Reproductive Justice organization, In Our Own Voice approaches these policy issues from a human rights perspective, incorporating the intersections of race, gender, class, sexual orientation and gender identity with the situational impacts of economics, politics and culture that make up the lived experiences of Black women in America.
Our major goals are:
- To establish a leadership voice for Black women on reproductive rights, health and justice policy at the national level;
- To build a coordinated grassroots movement of Black women in support of abortion rights and access, including ending the onerous funding restrictions, contraceptive equity and comprehensive sex education;
- To lay the foundation for ongoing policy change at the national and state levels that impacts the lives and wellbeing of Black women and their families; and
- To engage and motivate Black women as a traditionally underrepresented group to use their voting power in the American electorate.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The Director of Digital Content and Strategies is responsible for leading and managing In Our Own Voice’s online presence through our websites, social media channels, multimedia content, paid/digital advertising, and search engine optimization. The director’s leadership is essential to telling In Our Own Voice’s story to as wide of an audience as possible, raising the organization’s profile and brand among external and internal constituents as part of our movement building strategy.
- Develop and implement an effective and forward-looking comprehensive digital strategy that integrates with and supports In Our Own Voice’s organizational goals.
- Manage website upgrades and website health and subsequent microsites that are created (including blackwomen.vote).
- Manage website architecture, user testing, updates, analytics and interactivity.
- Maintain In Our Own Voice’s visual identity and brand across all digital platforms.
- Collaborate with In Our Own Voice’s eight strategic partners to uplift their work and produce unique digital content that serves each of the organizations.
- Develop content planning for news, social platforms, video series, and website —including serving as associate producer for monthly podcasts.
- Use data and analytics to inform strategic decision-making.
- Use tools like Google Analytics to drive excellence across channels and communications efforts.
- Create proactive storytelling content including video products, long-form written pieces such as blog posts and articles, website pages, social media campaigns, e-newsletters and email campaigns using AP style writing.
- Manage communications consultant and relationships with digital consultants.
- Develop a style guide for the organization to use widely across digital and non-digital mediums.
- Create editorial calendar and content for social media and other online platforms, both day-to-day and long-term digital campaigns across multiple channels.
- Develop content for and disseminate In Our Own Voice’s monthly newsletter.
- Develop appropriate process, structure, and metrics to monitor website and social media analytics, with a goal toward continual optimization and a dashboard for daily and monthly reporting.
- Responsible for managing online crisis and issues monitoring in collaboration with the vice president of communications and organization president.
- Collaborate across In Our Own Voice’s departments to support and uplift the work of the organization through digital and social media engagement efforts.
- Stay current on industry trends and technological developments, sharing this information and best practices to inform team members and evolve the digital and social media strategy.
- Develop program content for the Next Generation Leadership Institute.
- Create basic graphics in design software like Canva and Venngage.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Vice President of Communications.
Bachelors’ degree with at least five years of experience in content and digital strategy and 2-3 years of supervisory experience. Must have a demonstrated commitment to the principles of Reproductive Justice and the empowerment of Black women, femmes, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people, and youth. Candidate must have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, organizational, and management skills; candidate must be a team player. Candidate must have demonstrated skills in provision of technical assistance and training, preparation of written materials, and social media evaluation tools. Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Venngage, Canva, Constant Contact, Social Media platforms, Google Analytics, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook, PPT).
Must be a self-starter and able to prioritize and meet deadlines as delineated by the Vice President of Communications. Commitment to the mission and goals of In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda. Some travel is required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
START DATE: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Please send the following to the attention of Human Resources, Bettye Brentley, Vice President of Finance and HR email@example.com
Please submit materials in Word or PDF:
- Cover letter with salary history and requirements
- 2 writing sample (no more than 4 pages each). You may include links to the writing samples
- 3 professional references
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Interviews will be on a rolling basis, so applicants should get their materials in as soon as possible.
In Our Own Voice: National Black Reproductive Justice Agenda is an equal opportunity organization.