TITLE: Vice President of Government Affairs
SCALE LEVEL: Management
PROGRAM: Management Team
SUPERVISOR: President & CEO
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is the only national Black women’s reproductive justice organization. Our mission is to increase and highlight the leadership of Black women on reproductive health, rights, and justice issues. In Our Own Voice is a national-state partnership with eight Black women’s organizations: Black Women for Wellness, Black Women’s Health Imperative, New Voices for Reproductive Justice, SisterLove, Inc., SisterReach, SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW, The Afiya Center, and Women With a Vision.
As a Reproductive Justice organization, In Our Own Voice approaches policy issues from a human rights perspective, incorporating the intersections of race, gender, class, sexual orientation and gender identity with the situational impacts of economics, politics and culture that make up the lived experiences of Black women in America.
Our major goals are:
- To establish a leadership voice for Black women on reproductive rights, health, and justice policy at the national level;
- To build a coordinated grassroots movement of Black women in support of abortion rights and access, including ending the onerous funding restrictions, contraceptive equity, and comprehensive sex education;
- To lay the foundation for ongoing policy change at the national and state levels that impacts the lives and wellbeing of Black women and their families; and
- To engage and motivate Black women as a traditionally underrepresented group to use their voting power in the American electorate.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Vice President of Government Affairs is a member of the management team, reporting directly to the President and CEO, and is responsible for supervising and coordinating the development, implementation, and evaluation of In Our Own Voice’s national and state policy work. The Vice President oversees policy staff responsible for our policy work with our partner organizations, our work with other women of color Reproductive Justice organizations, other social justice organizations, and ally SRHRJ organizations.
In Our Own Voice will be launching a Black Reproductive Justice Policy Agenda in May 2021 that will be the central focus for organizational activities through 2022. The Vice President of Government Affairs will be responsible for leading and coordinating Congressional partnership, White House engagement and movement partners participation.
- Provides comprehensive direction, management, coordination, supervision and performance evaluation of staff involved in the policy initiatives of In Our Own Voice.
- Assists staff to develop strategic initiatives to grow, engage and maintain strategic networks of In Our Own Voice that engage in policy advocacy.
- Nurtures strategic relationships with colleague organizations in the fields of reproductive, social and economic justice to enhance success and relevance of In Our Own Voice’s initiatives, especially those working closely with and in other communities of color.
- Conducts strategic and operational planning, assisting policy staff to develop work plans to meet the goals and objectives of In Our Own Voice.
- Develops advocacy and policy narratives regarding various policy initiatives to assure that high quality proposals and reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Conducts weekly update meetings with policy staff to ensure that all program deliverables are being met.
- Assists President & CEO and the Vice President of Communications to develop communications strategies and initiatives regarding policy issues.
- Assist President and CEO and the Vice President of Finance to plan and monitor department budgets and to meet annual operational plans, including conducting monthly reviews of expenditures and cash flow for the Government Affairs Department.
- Briefs President & CEO and other members of management team concerning the Government Affairs Department.
- Represents In Our Own Voice at issue coalitions, including, but not limited to, the Federal Strategies Group (FSG) of the CAARE Coalition, Federal Reproductive Strategies Coalition (FRSC), sex education coalition, family planning coalition, as well as ad hoc working groups dealing with reproductive health, rights and justice issues.
- Represents In Our Own Voice in legislative meetings, including with members of Congress and state legislators.
- Represents In Our Own Voice in public speaking engagements concerning the organization’s policy positions and advocacy activities at conferences, symposia, and meetings, as appropriate.
- Conducts media interviews, as appropriate.
- With President & CEO, handles personnel matters involving Government Affairs staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree and at least five to seven years of senior management experience; or Master’s degree and at least three to five years of senior management experience. Professional experience and knowledge of federal and/or state policy advocacy. Knowledge of Congressional legislative processes, Executive Branch and/or federal agencies and/or state policy advocacy is a plus.
Candidate must have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, organizational skills and be a team player. Candidate must have experience managing mid-level and entry-level staff, budget development and management, and strategic planning experience.
Must have a commitment to the principles of Reproductive Justice and the empowerment of Black women, femmes, and girls. Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize and meet deadlines as delineated by the President and CEO. Commitment to the mission and goals of In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda. Some travel is required.
This position is currently remote due to COVID-19 but will be based in Washington, DC starting fall 2021.
SALARY: $110K – $130K
START DATE: July 1, 2021.
TO APPLY: Please send the following to the attention of Human Resources, Bettye Brentley, Vice President of Finance and HR firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit materials in Word or PDF:
- Cover letter
- 2 writing samples. You may include links to the writing samples
- 3 professional references
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Interviews will be on a rolling basis until a decision is made. Applicants should get their materials in as soon as possible.
In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is an equal opportunity organization.