TITLE: Manager of State Policy
SCALE LEVEL: Manager
PROGRAM: Government Affairs Division
SUPERVISOR: Director of Policy & Partnerships
SALARY: $73K – $81K
START DATE: April 1, 2023
ORANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is the only national Black women’s reproductive justice organization. Our mission is to increase and highlight the leadership of Black women on reproductive health, rights, and justice issues. In Our Own Voice is a national-state partnership with eight Black women’s organizations: Black Women for Wellness, Black Women’s Health Imperative, New Voices for Reproductive Justice, SisterLove, Inc., SisterReach, SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW, The Afiya Center, and Women With a Vision.
As a Reproductive Justice organization, In Our Own Voice approaches policy issues from a human rights perspective, incorporating the intersections of race, gender, class, sexual orientation and gender identity with the situational impacts of economics, politics and culture that make up the lived experiences of Black women in America.
Our major goals are:
- To establish a leadership voice for Black women on reproductive rights, health, and justice policy at the national level;
- To build a coordinated grassroots movement of Black women in support of abortion rights and access, including ending the onerous funding restrictions, contraceptive equity, and comprehensive sex education;
- To lay the foundation for ongoing policy change at the national and state levels that impacts the lives and wellbeing of Black women and their families; and
- To engage and motivate Black women as a traditionally underrepresented group to use their voting power in the American electorate.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Manager of State Policy is a member of the Government Affairs team, reporting to the Director of Policy and Advocacy. This person is responsible for implementing In Our Own Voice’s state policy strategy to advance reproductive justice. The Manager of State Policy manages a portfolio of relationships on the state-level, including with state partner organizations and other grassroots organization working to advance reproductive justice policy priorities. The Manager of State Policy and Partnerships creates the systems, infrastructure, and processes for tracking legislation, advising on state legislative strategies, and meaningfully engaging with coalition partners.
- Works with the Director of Policy and Advocacy to implement strategies to advance In Our Own Voice’s state policy priorities in state legislatures, in partnership with state partner organizations and other grassroots organizations doing work with communities of color.
- Designs and manages systems for tracking state legislation, tracking state partnership strategies, and monitoring rapid response needs.
- Provides systems, infrastructure, and tracks cadence for monitoring relationships with state partners and state government partners.
- Conducts as needed research to inform state policy strategies and priorities.
- Executes work plans to meet the goals and objectives for state policy strategies.
- Briefs Director of Policy and Advocacy and Vice President of Government Affairs on state policy trends, ensuring timely flow of critical information, alongside the development of rapid response strategies and tactics.
- Drafts state-specific issue briefs, fact sheets, and other policy documents.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. 3-5 years of experience in policy, advocacy and/or external affairs work in reproductive justice, gender justice and/or civil rights or social justice fields is required. Work on the state-level with a grassroots organization is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state government and/or state policy and advocacy.
- Experience supporting coalition, partnerships, or external affairs work, and managing relationships with a broad set of stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and considers themselves a team player.
- Excellent project management and operation skills, and the ability to manage detailed systems and processes that track progress on strategy and work plans.
- Excellent research skills and the ability to strategically distill and represent information.
- Must have a commitment to the principles of Reproductive Justice and the empowerment of Black women, femmes, and girls. Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize and meet deadlines as delineated by the Director of Policy and Partnerships. Commitment to the mission and goals of In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda.
This position is based in Washington, DC with a 4-day work week. Some travel is required.
TO APPLY: Please send the following to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit materials in Word or PDF:
- A cover letter expressing interest and qualifications for the position.
- A resume of no more than 2 pages.
- 2 writing samples.
- 3 professional references.
All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Interviews will be on a rolling basis so applicants should get their materials in as soon as possible.
In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is an equal opportunity organization.