September 20, 2017
Contact: Alexa Mauzy-Lewis, Camino PR
firstname.lastname@example.org / 212-255-2575
‘When Black Women Lead’ conference to focus on policies to advance Black women’s rights
WASHINGTON – In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda will host a four-day summit in Washington, D.C. The conference theme, “When Black Women Lead,” will bring together Black women leaders from across the country to highlight their leadership and plan strategies to ensure that Black women’s voices are heard and will influence policies at the local, state and national level. The summit will be open to the media on Monday, September 25, when participants will assess the state of Black women’s rights, share successful policies and strategies and identify barriers to change.
WHAT: When Black Women Lead conference
WHEN: Monday, September 25, 2017, 9:15 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
WHERE: Embassy Suites Hotel, 900 10th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
WHO: Black women leaders, including:
• Marcela Howell, In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda
• Jamia Wilson, Feminist Press
• Latoia Jones, Hustle
• Jessica Wynter Martin, Restaurant Opportunities Centers United
• Michele Jawando, Center for American Progress
• Glynda Carr, Higher Heights for America
• Jessica Byrd, Three Point Strategies
• Tanya Fields, The BLK ProjeK
• Janette Robinson-Flint, Black Women for Wellness
• Charmaine Lang, New Voices for Reproductive Justice
• Lisa Diane White, Sisterlove, Inc.
• Linda Goler Blount, Black Women’s Health Imperative
• Cherisse Scott, SisterReach
• Marsha Jones, The Afiya Center
• Deon Haywood, Women with a Vision
• Randi Gregory, SPARK Reproductive Justice Now
The summit follows a Congressional Black Caucus Legislative Forum on In Our Own Voice’s recent report, “Our Bodies, Our lives, Our Voices: The State of Black Women & Reproductive Justice” which exposes how Black women’s rights are marginalized by both the right and the left – and offers an action plan and policy recommendations. The report combines comprehensive data with the firsthand accounts of the lived experiences of Black women.
When Black Women Lead offers a space to showcase the leadership and everyday activism of Black women reproductive justice organizations as well as shape the future narrative of resistance and promote a consistent and strategic commitment to progressive activism.
Members of the media, please contact Alexa Mauzy-Lewis (email@example.com or 212-255-2575) to RSVP.
In Our Own Voice: National Black Women’s Reproductive Justice Agenda is a national reproductive justice organization focused on lifting up the voices of Black women at the national and regional levels in our ongoing policy fight to secure reproductive justice for all women and girls. Our eight strategic partners include Black Women for Wellness, Black Women’s Health Imperative, New Voices for Reproductive Justice, SisterLove, Inc. SisterReach, SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW, The Afiya Center and Women With A Vision.